ZANE Report

As ever, the reports from Zimbabwe show us how absolutely essential it is that we continue to support the vital work that ZANE undertakes every day.

If you are already a donor, we thank you, if you are interesting in coming alongside these vulnerable elderly people who have lost everything, please donate whatever you can spare – every dollar is used to the utmost good.

I recently had to deliver care packages to one of the local care homes. As soon as I got out of my car in the parking lot, I was approached by 3 people (all of whom I know from contact there) asking if I could please talk with them when I had finished my work in the Home.


One of these people was Neville who is on our books. He was so distraught he could hardly talk, so I sat with him in his room while he cried and sobbed for at least half an hour. He has had a platonic but close relationship with a woman he met when he was staying at one of the other care homes. She is now shunning him and he is heart-broken. I mention this because our ZANE work is so busy that we (speaking for myself) can easily miss the subtleties of these peoples’ feelings and in most cases they don’t have anyone else to talk with.


I mentioned Sylvia in my last report, because her story is similar in that she needs to talk and cry without being rushed. She is worried about her son, so this week, I have made a point of talking with him. We could say we are too busy to do this sort of intervention, but if the problem is right there in front of you, it’s hard to ignore and we feel it is all part of the aid that we bring to these folk.


Similarly, I also visited Laurie, brother of Simon, who has recently died. Both these brothers have been on our books for some time. Laurie sobbed and sobbed and is totally distraught about losing Simon. The matron said they were never apart from one another all day long, so his grief is enormous and possibly long lasting. I’ll spend time talking with him again.
Lizzie and Bert came to our office today by appointment to see us about possible assistance. I had already interviewed them in November last year (2021) and we have been giving them a monthly food parcel since then but no financial assistance. Their circumstances have hardly changed at all, so we will continue to give them a monthly food parcel until further discussed with our team.


Sadly, Leonard B passed away over the weekend. ZANE was geared up to move Len to a frail care nursing home since he was unable to take care of himself any longer. Unfortunately, Len’s health deteriorated rapidly over a few days and was admitted into the Parirenyatwa hospital, where he spent nearly a month. Just before Easter he was discharged from hospital and it was decided to place him at another frail care centre which had a bed for him where he could be kept comfortable as there was nothing further anyone could do to help him. Len passed away a few weeks after this. This has left the care home and ZANE in a spot with funeral expenses to the amount of $756 which we will have to find somehow as the home cannot raise this kind of money. I am just glad that we were able to ensure that Len’s last few weeks on earth were spent with dignity and that he knew, in the absence of family, that he was cared for.


Not a lot has changed with Kay, although she says her eyes are deteriorating from macular degeneration which unfortunately cannot be cured. She did mention that her husband’s health continues to decline and he has refused further medical procedures. Fortunately for Roy, his pain is very minimal.

This month my visit to our “car park beneficiaries” was a busy one with eight recipients meeting me to receive their monthly food parcel and donation. As usual, all recipients were very grateful for ZANE support.


Jim was seeking further assistance for a neck operation that has been pending for quite some time. This procedure is costing $2000 USD which, unfortunately, we will not be able to assist with.


We have been trying to help David move to better accommodation and his relocating story continues, but we hope that in the next week he will move to a flat very close to where his caravan is now parked. This will make a huge difference to his life.


Roy B was very sad and emotional when I called in to visit and drop off his monthly food parcel and donation. His son, aged 50, passed away suddenly in the USA from an aneurism. Roy was receiving a small donation from his son every few months which I am sure will now stop. We will try increase the help we give him but how to counsel him after such a loss – I sometimes feel quite overwhelmed by the plights our old folk are in.